Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Penalties

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Penalties
From: "Bob Naumann" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:02:49 -0500
VE3BMV says:

"How do I brake the rules if I worked the station, I heard my call, we
exchanged reports, confirmed it, then I get UBN report and I am not in his
log?
Please explain why do I deserve to be hit with 3x penalty.  What rules did I
break? How did I try to "profit"?"

Let's look at this from the log checker's perspective:

The station you claim to have worked says that you did not - by not having
your call in their log.  The log checking process even goes so far as to
look for a callsign in the other station's log that they busted in order to
*not* penalize you.  If this was the case, your UBN would show an "N"
without the minus sign. "N" means Not In Log, no penalty, "-N" means Not In
Log with penalty.

In these cases - all "-N", there is no record of a QSO with you.  There is
also no record of a QSO with a callsign even close to yours that the other
station busted.

How would it be different if you were actually attempting to gain credit for
QSOs you didn't make?  Well, it would be the same.  You would list QSOs in
your log, and the station you claimed to have worked would not have your
callsign.

How do you propose that the log checking process would be able to determine
the difference?

Again, your beef is with the stations who did not log you, not with the log
checking process or the penalty.

73,
N5NJ