[CQ-Contest] Single versus Dual Lever Paddles

To: QRP-L@mailman.qth.net, elecraft@mailman.qth.net,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Single versus Dual Lever Paddles
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:14:56 -0400
         I recently saw comments somewhere about
K7JA "slapping'" the dual lever paddle during the
Jay Leno show indicating he had learned on a
single lever.  This caused me to question whether
dual paddle (iambic) keys are used by the transmit
Champions of High Speed Telegrapy (HST) as
determined in the annual IARU HST Championships.
The simple answer is:  NO.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Andrea, IZ4FHT wrote:
 >By the way, when I met Lazlo HA3NU (a guy who sets the keyer to 60wpm
and calls it "slow" ;-) at a big italian hamfest in Pordenone a few
weeks ago, he said he preferred single lever paddles, especially for
truly extra-high speeds.

W4ZV (in a PM to Lacy HA3NU):

         Very interesting!  I noticed you were IARU Region 1
coordinator for the HST Championships at one time.  I've
heard that many operators from former East Block countries
prefer single paddle and wonder if you know if that is still
true for the top HST championship results (in Transmit)?  It
appears many former East Block competitors still dominated
the top TX results in 2004.

         I also prefer a single paddle and have never seen the
benefit to switching to dual paddle.  I'm just curious
about what type of paddle the top HST TX guys use.

                                                 73, Bill  W4ZV

HA3NU's response: