Re: [CQ-Contest] ICOM-amp. keying

To: "David Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>,"cq contest" <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ICOM-amp. keying
From: "Dick Frey" <k4xu@bendcable.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:05:47 -0700
Sorry about the keying troubles with your amps, Dave.
Clive's question was about switching his Alpha.
I am very familiar with the control circuit in the Alphas.
Their relay coils are never switched directly from the PTT.
They already have the PNP transistor inside.
In an Alpha amp, you get what you pay for.
The keyed load is 20V at 2 mA - resistive, well within the capabilities
of the quiet and fast but wimpy little relay in the Icom 756.

73, Dick