Re: [CQ-Contest] woodpecker

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] woodpecker
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:31:09 +0000
K4XU added:

>In addition to Googling Pluto II and JORN, try HFSWR. That is the proper
>current terminology. Our Canadian brethren are in on it too, but the primary
>domestic driver is Uncle Sam's own DHS.

Something I found when Googling about on VK's new surface wave radar
system in VK4 made specific mention of what Team Vertical has proven -
that vertical polarization near salt water rocks.  Those interested in that
one can look for "Pumpkin Island".

The amount of ERP necessary to get a reflection off a small vessel or
weather system out several hundred km would suggest these things
are something to watch out for (just like the sea surface CODARs),
as they will be sited at what are bound to be excellent radio QTHs
(ZC4 has proven that, though their aerials are in some sort of salt
lake).

73, VR2BrettGraham