Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Duration

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Duration
From: Sherman Banks <w4atl@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 08:44:54 -0400
Think of contest duration this way.  I run road races for fun.  So do a
lot of other people.  I have no way of winning these road races.  In
fact, there is only one winner and some age group winners.  But I enjoy
doing them for:

1. Fellowship with other runners at the race.
2. Health reasons
3. It's fun
4. To see if I can beat my previous time

Why can't radio competitors do the same thing.  Do it for fun,
fellowship, new countries, and to see if you can beat last year's score.
  If we can emphasize other things besides winning to the vast majority
of radio operators we can get people saying "Wow - is the contest
already over!"