[CQ-Contest] W2SC - 48 hours

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] W2SC - 48 hours
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:07:31 -0700 (PDT)
W2SC:

>My experience is that, despite the grueling length, 48 hour contesting
is >still more mental than physical.

>The next hurdles, fatigue, loss of focus, and delusions are mental in
>nature and there are techniques that can deal with them.

>Delusions are the scariest of all and can only be understood by those
who >have experienced them, but they too can be overcome.

Not directed to W2SC, just commentary from experience:

Just keep in mind when you start feeling bad (mentally) when doing a 48
hour effort, that it will pass.  The weird thoughts, the hallucinating
comes and goes.  It's not real.  It will pass...you'll feel better.

Write yourself dumb notes about how to operate before the contest even
starts.  I'm not kidding.  After I did a 48 hour effort one time in
ARRL DX CW and in hour #46 found myself in a confused fog trying to
remember how to log callsigns with TR-Log and how to tune the around
the band on the second radio, I vowed to take action for the next
contest.

Next time, I had notes.  Like:  TO WORK SOMEONE ON THE SECOND RADIO,
TURN THE BIG TUNING KNOB.  TUNE IN A STATION.  TYPE CALLSIGN, PRESS
SPACE BAR.  TYPE REPORT.  PRESS ENTER.

And:  NT1Y 5NN 5

And:  WHEN A STATION CALLS, TYPE CALLSIGN.  PRESS ENTER.  TYPE RECEIVED
REPORT.  PRESS ENTER.  IF NO ONE ELSE CALLS, PRESS F1 TO CQ.

Sounds stupid, yes, but having a simple coherent reminder of what it is
you're supposed to be doing when you're in a mental drift can be (is) a
huge help.  I will always do notes for 48 hour efforts.

Another 48 hour contest tip:  Write yourself a note, before the contest
starts, of what it is you're supposed to do after the contest if it
involves anything besides going to sleep.  Do you need to remember to
unplug equipment or antennas?  Lock doors?  Turn on an alarm clock?
Call someone?  Email?  It's a lot easier reading it from a list than
trying to remember in a post-contest daze.

Scott W4PA

Dump Internet Explorer today - download the Mozilla Firefox web browser