Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest DXpeditions in a suitcase

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest DXpeditions in a suitcase
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:48:25 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
I can partially confirm what AH8DX said about this.  I did C6ARS in 2001 CQ WW
CW, SOAB LP unassisted, number 7 world.  It was done at a nice little station
on the beach with a 50 ft tower, a TH5DX, 2 el 40M, and inv vees for 80 and
160.  When I got there, I had premade a 20 and 15 2el wire vertical array which
was switchable NE/SW (manually) and within 100 feet of the atlantic.  The
intent was to be SO2R with it while running on the TH5DX.  My IC706 (radio 2)
was damaged during transit so I didn't do SO2R but I didn't realize it until I
had already installed the wire antennas.  To my surprise, the 2 el wire
verticals (half wave vertical dipoles with a reflector) hanging from palm trees
and with no grnd screen underneath, equalled or beat the TH5DX into EU for the
whole contest.  I could have basicly been doing what AH8DX on 10 - 20 and been
equally as successful.

I would add to his statement that it is surprising to me how many quality QTH's
that I have either been at or know about do not have activity in the CQ WW or
especially the ARRL (Africa and Carib and S America).  I loved it and will
definately do it again as I have time.

Ed N1UR