[CQ-Contest] Message to my Director

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Message to my Director
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:40:49 -0700
Today, I sent the email below to my ARRL Division Director. If you agree
with my feelings, I suggest you send something similar to your Director as
well.

73, Bill W6WRT

_______________________________________

I have been a LoTW user since it's beginning and I'm pleased with the
concept and general operation, but I believe some improvement could be
made. Specifically, I have noted many comments on the cq-contest reflector
and others that the interface is too complicated. I have to agree. I
understand the need for security and I applaud the ARRL's efforts to make
the process as secure as possible, but I believe the efforts have gone too
far. Too many operators are looking at the requirements and deciding not to
participate in LoTW at all. As of today, LoTW has just over 10,000 active
participants out of a world wide ham population of nearly two million, or
about one-half of one percent. This is way below what it should be.

If one compares the security in LoTW to the security used by financial
institutions, it appears that LoTW has gone to far greater lengths than
those used to transfer money - billions of dollars every day - in complete
safety. LoTW security, frankly, is overkill.

I would not suggest dismantling LoTW as it is, since many people are using
it as-is, but rather establishing a second means of uploading log files. I
envision a procedure where the following is all that is necessary:

1. Go to the LoTW website.
2. Log in with a previously established user id and password. (This would
identify one's country and callsign. Other operations would require a
different login and/or password).
3. Upload an ADIF file.
4. Log out.

Using the same security methods as used by banks, this should be plenty
secure and much more simple than the existing procedure. Those who are
already comfortable with the existing procedure could continue to use it.

I believe LoTW could be made much more user-friendly than it presently is.
I hope you agree.

73, Bill W6WRT
RTTY Columnist, National Contest Journal