Re: [VHFcontesting] [Moon-net] Changes in the 2005 ARRL InternationalEME

To: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [Moon-net] Changes in the 2005 ARRL InternationalEME Competition
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:57:06 -0700
On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 03:12:37PM -0400, Lee Scott - AA1YN wrote:
> At 12:31 PM 7/27/2005 -0700, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:59:35AM -0700, kr7o@vhfdx.com wrote:
> >> Does this over rule the GCR 3.10 "non-amateur means" rule?
> >
> >No.
> >
> >The ARRL General Contest Rules 3.10 is:
> >
> >"3.10.The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example,
> >Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the
> >contest period is not permitted."
> >
> >It prohibits self-spotting, calling people on the phone to ask them to
> >work you, etc.  An "Assisted" category means that the station can
> >use packet spots (and of course can spot other stations) during its
> >operation.  It does not mean that it can spot itself.
> >

> I guess people are not reading the general rules too carefully
>
> Rule #1
>
>  1.1.Rules for individual contests or events, including Field Day, take
> precedence over all General Rules.
>
> Rule #2
> Re-read rule #1
>
> Rule #3
> Read the single operator assisted rule within the EME rules which takes
> precedence over Rule #3 in the general rules
>
> 3.2. Single Operator Assisted. One person performs all operating and
> logging functions, equipment adjustments, antenna alignment. The use of
> spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving other
> individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, etc.) is permitted.

The one part of ARRL EME Rule 3.2 that is different from every other
"Single Operator Assisted" class in ARRL contests (or contests of any other
sponsor) is the phrase "operating arrangements involving other individuals".

What does that mean?

Does that mean pre-arranged skeds before the contest?  I guess it does
not, as 3.1 (Single Op Unassisted rules) specifically mentions "assistance
in scheduling or facilitating QSOs during the contest period" as a
prohibited practice for the unassisted category.  If 3.2 said
"scheduling or facilitating QSOs during the contest period is permitted"
for the assisted category, it would be crystal clear, but instead it says
"operating arrangements involving other individuals... is permitted" which
isn't as clear to me.

My guess is that the ARRL Membership Services Committee intends the
assisted class to allow station to coordinate QSOS over email or the web
during the contest period, but is having difficulty expressing it clearly in
the rules.  If that is the case, then, yes - GVR 3.10 is overruled by the
EME contest rules.

Which, if true, is really, really lame.  The number of entrants in the
EME Contest has been in decline for a decade - maybe this will kill the
contest off.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com