Re: [CQ-Contest] Most Interesting Band

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Most Interesting Band
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:02:12 -0700
> Here is a topic for the list that I haven't seen covered here before:
> What do you consider to be the most interesting HF band propagationwise?
>
> For me, it is 15 meters, although there isn't much propagation there right
> now.  Some of the time it acts like 10 meters, other times it acts like 20
> meters.  And
> you never know what surprise you will find on it, like working XW0X at
> 2:30pm local time in the 2002 ARRL DX SSB test, or 9V1JA at 10:30am local
> during June, 2001.
>
> 73s John NE0P

In the upper half of the solar cycle - 10-meters, which can go from
VHF-like, sporadic-E to massive high-signal F-layer openings in a matter of
hours.

In the bottom half of the solar cycle - 160- or 80-meters where you
patiently lie in wait along the game trails of the ionosphere for those
fleeting openings to normally out-of-reach locations.

During contests - whatever band I *should* be on, but ain't.

73, Ward N0AX