Re: [CQ-Contest] Contests during Katrina recovery

To: "'Jim Monahan'" <K1PX@msn.com>,"'cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contests during Katrina recovery
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:52:00 -0400
K1PX writes:

> I don't want to open a can of worms but I think that it would
> be a good idea to suspend contests for the time being while
> the recovery efforts are getting underway.
>
> It is likely that there will be those who don't get the word
> about the nets or realize other activities associated with
> these communications.

You have opened a can of worms ...

There is no need for the rest of the world to shut down just
because of hurricane recovery.  The list of frequencies to be
"protected" that has been circulating recently is absolutely
absurd.  50 KHz at the top end of 75 meters and 40 meters
and 25 KHz at the top end of 20 meters should be more than
enough spectrum for what is a relatively small geographical
area.  For every "East Podunk ARES/RACES" group to expect
that the frequency for its weekly check-in and medical update
net to be kept free 24/7 for an indefinite period is absolute
BS.

I started my amateur career as an active traffic handler
and ARES member.  I participated regularly both on the
ground in (major) disaster areas and in net control/support
roles.  Properly trained, organized and efficient operations
do not need this much "real estate" nor do they justify
shutting down other activities.  One need only monitor 80%
of the "nets" to realize that they're doing nothing but
holding a frequency "just in case."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV