Re: [CQ-Contest] A portable rig for contesting?

To: Blake M. <n4gi@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A portable rig for contesting?
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:37:12 -0700
On Oct 3, 2005, at 7:17 PM, Blake M. wrote:

> [...]

I have heard this from others also, and wonder if this really isn't a
deficiency in the SO2R controllers instead. Some rigs appear to use
PTT as a "pre-key" that enables CW/paddle operation. This, of course
is a recent innovation that didn't exist on older rigs (I doubt that
many contesters are using KWM2s and SB102s these days). At the same
time, it also doesn't exist in phone mode, where PTT is used to
actually key the rig. My own SO2R design simply switches the paddle/
key and PTT lines between the two radios and appropriately switches
antenna control at the same time, allowing the controller to work on
phone as well as CW.

With a fairly large probability that I have missed something that the
feature gives you, what is it that I am missing that is so important
with the the CW use of PTT?

-Jack Brindle, W6FB