Re: [CQ-Contest] [N1MM] RE: Telnet problem

To: <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>, "YCCC" <yccc@yccc.org>,"reflector cq-contest" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [N1MM] RE: Telnet problem
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:39:48 -0000
Well, I think there are a couple reasons.  One big one is reliability.  My
node used to be one of the more reliable ones, though today I think there
are lots of others that are probably at least as good.

Speed is not really an issue, I only have 128kb up/down speed here and can
easily support 120 users and 20-30 node connections without getting anywhere
near saturated on the isdn line.  and even with that many users and nodes my
1ghz machine can distribute almost immediately even at contest spotting
rates.  What does suffer is response to user commands like sh/dx which I
think ar-cluster processes at lower priority than passing spots.

At this point I think most nodes have all the same spots available on the
backbone, but there are some that have filters so they only distribute
locally generated spots.

One annoying thing is users that think they need to connect to multiple
nodes.  The nodes are so heavily interconnected right now and the backbone
is so fast that I can't see any advantage to doing that... it just uses more
bandwidth and adds complexity.  The best thing is to just make one
connection from your logger directly to a cluster node.

I would recommend everyone to try to use geographically close nodes, as has
been pointed out this lets you talk directly to contesters in your area.
Because of the huge number of world wide nodes and users it just isn't
practical any more to have all the nodes and users visible so you can talk
to anyone anywhere directly... at one time we were trying to organize
regional subnets with gateways to other areas to make reasonably sized user
lists, but this kind of fell apart.  I would kind of like to see it
resurrected, but there are so many nodes out there and no real organized way
to contact all the sysops that it would be very difficult to organize.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net