Re: [CQ-Contest] Real-time score reporting: an experiment

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real-time score reporting: an experiment
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 09 Oct 2005 13:51:20 -0500
On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 07:55, Andrei Nevis wrote:
> They (big "winners") will never go for it...

Hard to say.

I don't think the technology infrastructure is ready yet.

Mainly, because broadband Internet access is not available everywhere.
Even dial-up access is not universally available unless you're willing
to make a REALLY EXPENSIVE phone call.

Is it fair to allow realtime scrutiny of the logs of those who have
Internet access while allowing those who don't have it to go
unmonitored?  Alternatively, do you require realtime scrutiny for
eligibility for awards -- and discourage operation from places without
reasonably-priced 'Net access?

I think it's an interesting demo.  Don't know that it's any more than
that at this point.

A couple of ethical questions about the whole thing...

How much information should be posted?  I intentionally forgot to add
the exchange fields.  Should the calls have been disguised?  If your
realtime server posts QSOs with WA6BOB, and I'm monitoring it, does that
clue me in that my QSOs with WB6BOB are probably busted calls?  Is it
ethical for me to monitor your realtime server during the contest?  If
not, why bother? - who's out there who's not operating in the contest
but has an interest in knowing what someone else is working?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66