Re: [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight
From: KI9A@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:00:24 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/2005 7:41:18 A.M. Central Standard Time,
N7MAL@CITLINK.NET writes:

The  participant's real-time logs and DX Packet-Cluster spots are fed into
some  computer with some special software. The software will be 'smart' enough
to  read the spots and the logs, in real-time.

Mal, that sounds great..but, I believe most packet-cheats are smart enough
to NOT follow the spots as they come up. What if a guy is SO2R, & is always
tuning up & down the band, & as the new stations show up, he hears them  &
works
them. Now, the 'special software" thinks he was following packet  spots, but,
in reality, he was just using good operating techniques, &  listening.
Obviously, if 5 new stations are spotted, on 3 different bands, &  the cheater
works
the same five, yeah, you could make a case that he was indeed  cheating.

As always, I am a proponent of eliminating the assisted category, let
everyone use packet if they wish. Its a tool available for all hams, just like
big
towers, SO2R and $12k rigs. You can be as competitive as the wallet allows,
just like ANY other hobby/sport. I do a little bit of drag racing, I don't
spend  a ton of $$ on the car, I don't win much, but I have fun. I also have
another  muscle car that I take to car shows that I restored, I didn't put a
ton of
$$  into it, I don't win my class much compared to the guys that have
mega-bucks  show cars, but, I have fun. I also contest form a small station
with low
antennas. I don't win much, but, dangit, I have fun.

Just my .2 cents worth.....

73-Chuck KI9A