Re: [CQ-Contest] coax stubs in MS -SO2R

To: "Marc Wullaert" <marc.wullaert3@pandora.be>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>, "ON5TN" <on5tn@pandora.be>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] coax stubs in MS -SO2R
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:25:51 +0000
I recommend you measure your RF levels.

When I was setting up my stubs, I made a RF detector with 50 ohm load
for my multimeter and simply measured the RF voltage on the "other"
coax when TXing at full power on the first coax. I did this for all
bands. I reasoned that if the RF voltage was below the level that
would zap modern SS devices, it wouldn't hurt the "other" rig.

With my antennas well separated and stubs in place, my worst-case was
around 270 mv. I ran with this level for a long time successfully. I
now also have filters (found a good deal on a used pair), so I should
be even better now, though I haven't measured it again.

FYI: I run one dual-resonance 40+15 antenna on one coax on rig 1,
another dual-resonance 20+10 on a second coax and a separate 80
dipole on a third on rig 2. Easy to arrange stubs this way without
any stub switching, and I can run any two adjacent bands together.

My antennas are fixed. You will need multiple measurements as you
rotate your yagis.

Jerry W4UK