Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW SSB Realtime Scores

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW SSB Realtime Scores
From: Fabian Kurz <lists@telegraphy.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:38:09 +0100
On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 09:33:17PM -0700, Bruce Horn wrote:
> This page aggregates the realtime scores from contestants who are posting
> their scores to the web during the contest. Since only a few are doing so,
> this is more an experimental exercise than a practical one. Those who are
> using video feeds to post their scores are not included because it's not
> possible to extract the scoring data from their web pages.

Very nice. I guess the main problem is to extract the score/band
summary from the logging software easily and without any user
interaction.
Following a chat with M0BLF last night, who also tried to generate an
online report like these from WinTest, but had difficulties with
reading the WinTest database, I took another approach and had a little
look at the WinTest Network protocol.
It seemed very easy to generate an online report by listening to the
network messages sent by WT, and then generate a score out of it.
After a few hours of programming, it was up and running.
It's written in Perl, so perl is needed to run it; it's available for
all OS. (Windows: http://www.activestate.com/Perl.plex )
The sources can be found here: http://fkurz.net/ham/wtscore/

It uploads a summary file (like http://fkurz.net/sum.txt) to any
server, but in order to produce a scoreboard like Bruce's, it would
be very easy to implement some better way to aggregate scores, like
sending it via HTTP POST.

So far I have only had a look at WinTest's network protocol, but I
could imagine that it's similarly easy with most other logging
software, too.

Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Dresden, Germany * http://fkurz.net/