Re: [CQ-Contest] Making the most of 40M SSB

To: LA5HE Ragnar Otterstad <la5he@otterstad.dk>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Making the most of 40M SSB
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:35:20 -0500
On Oct 29, 2005, at 2:40 AM, LA5HE Ragnar Otterstad wrote:

> I came on 40 m this morning, only to find several phone stations as
> low as
> 7012 !

The lowest I heard was SV1CVY, who was at 7000.5, which, in my book,
is out of band. He was calling CQ.

> It is  very disappointing that so many phone contesters show no
> respect for
> the IARU bandplan !    What a nuisance !

Yeah, it's easy to just complain about this, but think about the
entire situation.

There's currently only 100 kHz of band in regions 1 and 3. During a
contest, everyone wants a frequency -- hundreds, if not thousands of
people. Frequency has to be relatively clear so you can hear and be
heard. Most countries do not have regulatory limitations on
emissions, so it is legal for SSB transmissions to be made lower in
the band.

I heard a bunch of PSK activity around 7070 here stateside, in the
midst of all the region 1 and 3 SSB.

Just wait, four weekends from now, the roles will be reversed, and
we'll hear CW from 7000-7100, solid.

> There ought to be a penalty for transmitting in the CW band !  IMHO

I think that amateurs ought to be able to flexibly use their
frequencies as conditions and demand permits. Despite the intense use
of 7000-7100 kHz this weekend, and similar high population of
7150-7300, there was almost no activity from 7100-7150.

With the right regulations, we could use more of the band and there
would be less likelihood for conflict. Hopefully, some of this will
occur by 2009 when 7100-7200 opens up in regions 1 and 3.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901