Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 01 Nov 2005 00:10:36 -0600
On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 17:28, Courtney Judd K4WI wrote:
> John and all, I also seem to have a problem with WI which I tend to say
> Whisky India or Washington Indiana  or Willy India but it is amazing how
> whisky gets turned into"radio". A lot of my after contest checking shows me
> worked as K4RI a whole lot more than is reasonable. I  just try to get the
> station to repeat my call correctly but still don't understand why the
> confusion! 73's Cort K4WI

As one might imagine, I feel Cort's pain<grin>!

Strangely enough, in my case it's usually the India that gets turned
into "radio" - they get me as W9WR, not W9RI.

I always start with the "right" phonetics (Whisky India); when they
don't work, it doesn't really seem that anything else does either.  With
Latin American stations, giving my call in Spanish (without any
phonetics at all) does wonders.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66