Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: WW SSB on my mind

To: "k7qq" <k7qq@netzero.net>,"CQ-Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: WW SSB on my mind
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:12:42 -00

  http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb

> 14.300 is and amateur Radio authorized frequency and no one should be
> required to move by the use of some useless NET that might have someone
with
> a problem that could better be handeled on regular marine frequencies.
>
> Rex  K7QQ    READY FOR FLAMES

Not a flame, Rex, but a different view.

I also spent some time (21 years) as a blue water sailor, and retired as a
Master Chief Radioman from the Navy.  I've been an Amateur Extra ham since
1963 (5 years before disincentive licensing).  I say none of this to brag,
but to simply establish my "credentials".

As an avid contester, I agree with the general concensus here that no
person or net is granted exclusive ownership of any particular frequency.
However, having said that, I strongly feel that our particular radiosport
interest (worldwide electronic splatball to some) needs to be an
accomodating citizen to ALL other legitimate uses of the spectrum, and
ESPECIALLY long established public service nets.

Getting back to my sailor days, the 14.300 MM net was originally
established to serve deployed servicemen (particularly sailors) with phone
patches home when on long cruises.  The other services you alude to in your
post were either not available to servicemen or were too expensive for
their use.  Thus 14.300 served as an invaluable morale link.  I support
it's continued availability to mariners far from home.

73, de Hans, K0HB