Re: [CQ-Contest] He send didn't send his callsign

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] He send didn't send his callsign
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 23:04:11 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Bill Parry wrote:

> The discussion of sending the other stations call sign (a real good idea)
> reminded me of something that happened to me several times.
>
> The station answered my cq with his/her call. I responded with his call and
> my exchange. The station responded with my call and his exchange without
> sending his call as a part of the exchange. This happened three times. One
> time the responding station just sent the last three letters of his call as
> part of the exchange.
>
> This was a problem a few years ago and I thought it had stopped. Since it
> happened more than once, I'm sure that it must have happened to others. If I
> accept the exchange this way, he and I both benefit from a shorter exchange.
>
> So what is the correct response? Have him repeat his call? (I already know
> it and it is in the computer). Have him repeat the whole exchange? Ignore
> it, I teach physics not ethics anyway?
>
> Bill, W5VX

It's great to see that there are a lot of casual contesters in SS. Some
don't follow the rules exactly.  I heard one station trying to explain in
detail to another station what the "check" was. I had several stations do
as you described - I'll bet it was the same station I worked who just
sent his last 3 letters.

I just logged them and moved on.  I didn't want to spend a lot of time on
them.

73, Zack W9SS