Re: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting
From: "Clive Whelan" <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:27:16 -0000
Pete

A terrific idea, but probably doomed to fail from the start. I'm not sure
what the "my sandbox" syndrome is ( common language??), but perhaps this is
the same as N.I.H, being not invented here?

In reality there is a number of first class contests which run for 24Hours
( Russian DX) or 36 of 48( WAE), both of which publish results in under 6
months, and supply results f.o.c. to entrants. Even under the aegis of CQ,
there is WPX, which is 36/48.  CQWW was the first major contest, and clearly
is the most popular by a margin, but is it the best? In my personal opinion,
definitely not.

So the remedy is clear, vote with your paddles, microphones and keyboards,
and acknowledge that commercial magazine publishers will probably never
change.

73

Clive
GW3NJW

Several years ago, two other guys and I publicly proposed a test of a
"24-Hour Contest Challenge".  The idea was to allow entrants to one of the
big DX contests, if they wished, also to submit scores and operating periods
for a 24-hour award to be managed completely separately from the "parent"
contest.  We did some research that suggested the net impact would be
positive - many less-than-full-time ops would put in more time on the air in
order to compete for it.  We had also gone fairly far in figuring out the
logistics so that there would be no effect on the contest sponsors and log
checkers.

Then I went to Dayton and talked to the contest sponsor (no, I'm not going
to name names).  I was astonished by the fierce hostile reaction.  I thought
that was just the "my sandbox" syndrome, but in the weeks thereafter, I was
also surprised by the negative comments from contesters I respect.  I still
didn't (and don't) understand why, but the bottom line was that I decided to
drop out, and it never happened.

Maybe, with our community being (on average) a couple of years older and
wiser, it's time to revive the concept.  Anyone who does it has to be
prepared to take a lot of flak, though.

73, Pete N4ZR

At 06:06 AM 11/18/2005, sawyered@earthlink.net wrote:
>Thanks Gerry.  I understand your point of view and respect it.
>
>It would seem that 3830 is somewhat addressing your interest in comparing
"apples to apples" from a time standpoint.

>I remember Ward Silver had some dialog going a while back about the
"contest within a contest" approach.  He has attempted to do this with IARU
for M/S Low Power.  Since we are all just happy enough to have gotten the CQ
WW certs we have recently, it would seem that adding more to that is
unlikely.  However, maybe one of the contest clubs would be successful in
more fully implementing N0AX's approach and more fully institutionalize this
type of approach.