Re: [CQ-Contest] FT1000MP Mk V Settings using DX Heil Mic

To: sawyered@earthlink.net, KI9A@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT1000MP Mk V Settings using DX Heil Mic
From: Scott Pederson <spederson@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:46:14 -0800 (PST)
All,

  I've noticed a difference between some Heil headsets, so a little
experimentation might be worth it. I'd recommend an On-The-Air test  with
another contester (I'm guessing that you might get widely varied  results
otherwise).

  A good rule-of-thumb:  Turn on the Monitor feature on the MP, use  headphones
- key the radio and listen to your audio without talking  (don't forget to ID)
- if you can hear a lot of ambient room noise, the  compression is probably too
high.

  Maybe adjust the compression and audio gain so that you can tell the  radio
is keyed up, but not running 50w on the wattmeter even when  you're not saying
anything :-)

  Good luck!
  Scott - DR

sawyered@earthlink.net wrote:  Here is what I have found.

For 160 - 40, the Mic is at 9 O'Clock and the compressor is at 10 O'Clock.
This is a really good setting for me.

For 10 - 20, the Mic gain goes up to about 10 O'Clock and the Compressor about
11.

This is VERY PUNCHY bu not over compressed.  Good for Contesting.

Keep  your eye on the Digital Power Meter. It is very reactive and gives you  a
"picture" of the audio to some extent. I learned about the lower  settings by
noticing that the meter was very full when on 40 SSB vs.  20M SSB where it
showed the typical PEP peak type reading. The FULL  reading was over compressed
audio. I learned to use two settings and it  really sounds nice (I think
anyway).

Have fun with it.

73

Ed  N1UR