Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics, back to basics

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics, back to basics
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:04:24 -0600
I consider this information as a pot of Gold.

Thanks :0)

Any other understanding you can give us as to the hearers
ear please do.

For example I have heard it mentioned many times
especially lately on the lower bands that the DX station
is have "vy QRN" while on my end it is a "vy quiet band"

  73 fer nw,
Bob AD5VJ

10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.n5iet.com/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

Antti
> Nevantaus
> Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 12:30 AM
> To: cq-contest@contesting.com
> Subject: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics, back to basics
>

> As I'm not a native English speaker, in my earlier days
of
> ham radio I sometimes found it difficult with weak
signals to
> get the callsign correctly due to non-standard
phonetics.

> There are usually two or more words used for each
syllable,
> for example on the band you can often hear "Bravo",
"Boston",
> "Baker" or "Golf", "Germany", "Guatemala". Only one of
these
> is correct according to standards, but the others might
be
> used because they are easier to spell for some
nationalities.
> However, I would encourage using the standard ones
especially
> in DX QSOs and also to not to confuse those who are
newer to