[CQ-Contest] The law of unintended consequences

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The law of unintended consequences
From: Paul Young <youngp@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:12:34 -0500
Richard, K5NA asks what would the difference would be if W's
counted a point each.

In the best of all possible worlds his score would go up a bit.
However, W4MYA's score would also go up because he also worked
W's so Richard would probably still be tenth.

However, what is more likely is that NQ4I will realize that if
his 600 US stations are good, more would be better.  There have
to be a thousand Ws in the contest and if he could work them
all on each band it would make a big score difference.

So up go a new set of high angle 160-40 antennas.  These aren't
quite like sweepstakes antennas because in SS we usually operate
the high bands during the day (SS doesn't have multi-multi).
And he brings in a few more ops because the low bands are now
going to be active 48 straight hours.  And some new high band
antennas are installed for better USA coverage.

Of course KC1XX, W3LPL, K3LR, K1TTT, K1RX, W3PP, N3RS, K2LE,
W2YC, and anyone else who wants to play multi-multi has the same
idea.  Checkbooks are opened, towers are climbed.  New switching
systems are installed so a signal can be kept on Africa in the
afternoon while running the US.

Meanwhile the West Coast guys figure out that when Europe is not
runnable it may be better to run the US than S&P.  The East Coast
guys may have trouble hearing Europe through the USA and that it
will be more difficult to find a frequency, especially on phone.
Listening my frequency and 7020 will have a whole new meaning.

For USA stations QSOs will be up, multipliers will be down, scores
will increase, records will be broken, non-contesters will be
unhappy.

Is this an improvement over the CQ WW contest we have today?

                           Paul, K1XM

P.S.  The penalty for a busted call isn't really three QSOs.  It
is three times the value of of the QSO.  So if you bust a zero
point QSO you loose three times zero points.

P.P.S.  Working someone and then deliberately removing them from
the log you submit is very bad form.  If someone wants to change
the CQ rules this should become a disqualifier.  How would you
feel if I threw your call out of my VP9I log?  I'd lose a Q, you
would lose a multiplier and take a penalty.

P.P.P.S.  If we're going to allow Ws in the CQ WW DX contest,
how about if we allow DX in Sweepstakes?  I was in VP9 and could
not participate even though I'm closer to NQ4I than California is.
Fortunately the LZ contest was also that weekend.  But it is only
24 hours.  Maybe we should have a 48 hour version for those of us
in Region 2 who have funny phone band restrictions.