Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R - How Good is Good Enough?

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R - How Good is Good Enough?
From: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:01:08 +0000
For me, it's not good enough, but I take what I can get, given my
self-imposed limitation of one tower.  Barefoot, I can get within 3-5
Khz of a second harmonic.  High power, it's about 15 KHz give or take a
little, depending on band.

One thing I always keep in mind when establishing a run frequency is
will the second harmonic impede me significantly on that band.  For
example, when in a RTTY contest, CQing on 7040 is a problem when 20m is
open, 14080 being the center of the RTTY band.

73,
Barry W2UP

Pete Smith wrote:

>I've just spent a lot of effort, and probably too much money, on antenna
>switching and filtering for SO2R.  The resulting system seems to work quite
>well, at least at 100 watt power levels, but I realized I don't have a good
>sense of what experienced SO2R ops and station builders consider to be "good
>enough."  In particular, how close to the harmonics of your transmitter
>frequency should you be able to listen effectively with the second radio?
>
>73, Pete N4ZR
>The World HF Contest Station Database
>was updated on 23 October 2005
>Over 3000 contest stations at