Re: [CQ-Contest] 62 ohm coax cable

To: "Rick Dougherty NQ4I" <nq4i@contesting.com>,"CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 62 ohm coax cable
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:54:04 -0500
Rick,

My entire station is fed with 75 ohm CATV hardline.  The homebrew yagis are
all matched to 75 ohms at the load, then in the shack I use what is called
an ASYNCHRONOUS TRANFORMER to bring the impedance back to 50 ohms.  First
described (at least that I saw) in Ham Radio Magazine and the NCJ back in
1978, it uses short lengths of 50 and 75 ohm to convert a 75 ohm load to 50
ohms.  It looks like this:

50 ohm in ]================={}=================[ 75 ohm load
                 .0818w             .0818w
                 75 ohm             50 ohm

Because there are frequency-specific lengths of coax involved, it's
obviously a single-band system.  I've had these for almost two decades at
K8CC with no failures.  No ferrite involved, but you do tend to get a lot
of practice installing PL-259s.

The lengths get long enough that on 160 and 80 I tend to use un-uns for my
50:75 matching, but there is no reason why an asynch section wouldn't work
there as well.

73,

Dave/K8CC