Re: [CQ-Contest] Audio Connection for Recording a Contest

To: Jeff Maass <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Audio Connection for Recording a Contest
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 04:52:36 -0800
On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 12:05:50PM -0500, Jeff Maass wrote:

> I'd like to record the entire CQWW 160 CW Contest
> from PJ2T, and am trying to decide how best to
> tap into the receive audio to present it to a
> sound card for recording by Writelog.
>
> I'll be set up with two FT-1000MP transceivers
> (one as a spotting receiver), and using a Top Ten
> DX Doubler SO2R controller to distribute the audio
> to my headphones. I'd like to record what is
> delivered to the (stereo) headphones at any given
> time.
>
> If anyone has recorded their SO2R operation, how
> did you tap into the audio? Simple stereo Y-connector
> from the headphone jack? Transformer/power splitter
> box required? Details welcomed.

I have done this several ways over the years.

The easy thing to do is just use a headphone splitter and
run one side to the computer sound card input and
the other to your headphones.

But this can result in hum in some setups.  I built up
a box that uses an audio isolation transformer to isolate
the audio output from the radio and the input to the sound card.
My box has four RCA connectors on it input/output for two channels.
I then use 1/8" stereo to two RCA connectors as the cables
going to the radio and the computer.

I record in stereo from the output of the two radio audio switching to
get the two radio recording just as the operator hears it.

There are several other issues to watch for.

If you are using a laptop, some laptops do not have a line input
for the sound card so you have to use the mic input.  This has been
a problem on a Sony laptop I have in that I could never get the
level to set correctly.  Also some mic inputs I have run across
are mono only.

Mixing of the left and right channels in the sound card
that then results in mixing of the channels in the
operators headphones.  This can often be traced to
the various simulated or enhanced stereo settings in the sound
card control software.  Sometimes these settings are labeled
as '3d'.  Turn them off.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net