Re: [CQ-Contest] R: QRP - Get Over ItS

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] R: QRP - Get Over ItS
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:24:15 -0500
I see both Bill's point and Rag's point.  And because of my prefix, I tend
to get a lot of cards too.  So I've tried to adapt the following "rules" to
how I handle QSL cards...

Incoming Cards:
1.      Direct QSL requests received with GS, IRC, or SASE get answered as soon
as practical.
2.      Bureau QSL requests for band/mode/entities needed get answered direct as
soon as practical.
3.      Bureau QSL requests for band/mode/entities that I don't need get
answered
back via the buro in my next shipment.
4.      When I discover that I've overlooked a request that meets the above
criteria, I answer direct as soon as possible.  If it's my error, I feel I
should pay the price (YMMV).
5.      Bureau (occasional) or Direct (rare) QSL's that are duplicates of ones
I've already answered are ignored, on the assumption that they've crossed in
the mail or buro system.  If an email address is available for followup, I
check.

Outgoing QSL's:
1.      Cards for bands/modes/entities I need go direct if an address or manager
is available.
2.      Cards that I want but don't neccesarily need go direct to a US manager
with SASE.
3.      Cards that I want but don't neccesarily need go direct to a non-US
manager with SAE & GS or IRC depending on what's practical.  For those
needing or preferring US$2, I try to visit the bank and get a $2 bill (keeps
weight down and gets more in circulation!)
4.      When a manager is unavailable, or there are known problems getting cards
to a particular station, or otherwise when the situation warrants
(especially when I'm short on shekels for QSL purposes), I send the card via
WF5E's service.
5.      An exception to 2 - 5 above is for stations (usually contest stations)
that I've worked and QSL'd successfully in the past, is the "don't bother
them again" rule.  I won't re-QSL them for a given band/mode unless the
situation warrants, such as a "special" card (i.e. anniversary).  Good
examples of this are AC6V, P40V, OH2BH, HC8N, HG6N, etc.  However, if I work
one of these stations on a new band/mode in a contest, I may note the
"unneeded" band/modes on the card -- i.e., something on the lines of "I also
worked you in the contest at these times on these bands but don't need your
card for them."  (This is usually one physical card noting multiple
contacts, now that I've set up a mailmerge from my log in M$ Publisher.)

Logbook of the World:
1.      Upload new log entrie as soon as practical.

eQSL:
1.      As a courtesy to eQSL users, I will check my log and electronically
acknowledge a valid entry.  I also request a buro card or LotW entry in
return for that courtesy.
2.      However, I have informed eQSL that "QSL cards" printed and mailed or
distributed by eQSL from my confirmations are against my wishes and should
not be considered valid for any awards.

The "rules" aren't perfect (nor am I) and are subject to change, but so far,
it seems to work.

And -- if I owe someone a card, an email is all I need.  If I've received a
card but my reply has fallen through the cracks, I'll take care of it.

73, ron wn3vaw