Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments from a relative newbie that need affirmation

To: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments from a relative newbie that need affirmation
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:45:01 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 06:09 PM 1/10/2006, Jim Smith wrote:

>Hmm... I use RITTY with WriteLog.  For the first time I tried out having
>both Tx and Rx AFC on when S&Ping.  I had no trouble at all with
>stations other than the one I wanted capturing the Rx AFC.  This was on
>20m in the Round Up with stations all the way up to 14130 so you know it
>was crowded.
>
>It sure speeds up tuning folks in.
>
>73, Jim   VE7FO

If you are S&Ping with AFC on, you should also have NET on, assuming
you are using AFSK. That works fine.

The problem comes if one turns NET on but is actually using FSK,
which does not respond to NET. That fellow will tune merrily across
the band, stopping when the tuning indicator says he is right on, but
not knowing his TX is not.

Happens a lot.

Bill, W6WRT