[CQ-Contest] NAQP CW Propagation "spotlighting"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW Propagation "spotlighting"
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:09:15 -0800 (PST)
N2IC wrote (on 3830 NAQPCW posting):

>>Down here in SW New Mexico, 160 just wasn't open to the east coast. The few
that
we heard couldn't hear us. Very disappointing way to end the contest.<<

Strange propagation on 15 and 20 meters this time as well.

I asked N2IC "15M?" and was told 21.041 - only to hear nothing, which is way
unusual.  Never did work NM on 15.  Texas signals also weak on 15 and 20.
Tried for a couple of minutes to work W7SW in AZ at ESP level and finally heard
NIL NIL . . . signals from So Calif, AZ, NM, TX way down this time on 15 and 20
- K6LL, K6LA, W6YI are usually banging in here and weren't this weekend.

By contrast, the Pacific Northwest had large signals everywhere, led by NK7U
being about S9+40 on 15 meters and well over S9 on 80 as well.  K7ZSD - loud.
N6TR - loud.  N0AX - very loud on 20 and 40.  West coast very early in the day
on 40 - was working W6's at 2100Z without difficulty.

160 was great out here this time - W6 and W7 worked without any problem.
K7ZSD, NK7U, N6TR, N6IP and a number of others.  N2IC, too, I must have been
one of the few east coast to work you (whether I'm really "east coast" is
debatable as I'm due south of Indianapolis at K4JNY...)

You never know...but that Texas and the southwest were weak all weekend is
unusual out here...usually parity with the W7's.

Scott W4PA

W4PA 2005-2006 Contest Calendar
Sept 11:  CW Sprint SOABHP
Oct 29/30:  CQ WW SSB SOABHP @ VY2ZM as VY2PA
Nov 5/6: CW SS casual operation SOABHP, home QTH
Nov 18/19:  SS SSB M/S as K4JNY @ K4JNY.  6 ops.
Nov 25/26:  CQ WW CW M/M - PJ2T
Jan 14: NAQP CW SOABLP
Feb 11: CW Sprint SOABHP
Feb 18/19: ARRL DX CW - Barbados - SOABHP - 8P*** call TBA.
Mar 4/5: ARRL DX SSB - unknown.  PJ2T M/2 ??
Mar 25/26: WPX SSB M/S as KM9P @ K4JNY
May 27/28: WPX CW SOABHP as KM9P @ K4JNY