Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM/Writelog .adif files

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM/Writelog .adif files
From: Scott Stembaugh <radio.n9ljx@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:35:39 -0500
Yes, a simple find and replace, as long as you KNOW what each logger expects
with regard to tagging each piece of the QSO record.  And this changes from
contest to contest.

Luckily for me the great support of my two logging programs helped me figure
out a similar problem recently.  But if I hadn't been looking for a couple
of specific entries I wouldn't have recognized that I had a problem.

So it would seem that ADIF isn't so much a standard as it is a
recommendation.  Just because a program imports and exports ADIF formatted (
i.e. tagged) log files doesn't mean it is adhering to any particular QSO
element identifying convention.

--scott

On 1/17/06, Jim Rhodes <k0xu@iowadsl.net> wrote:

> It all works as long as both programs agree on what to call the fields.
> For
> instance when exporting a domestic contest file from writelog the state
> data is called "QTH" my dx4win expects it to be labeled "STATE", so one
> has
> to change the data heading in a word processor so that the proper data tag
> is found. A simple replace function in wordpad is all it takes.
>
> At 06:27 PM 1/17/2006, Tim Gardner wrote:
> >Terry,
> >

> >The ADIF file format uses tags to identify each piece
> >of information. The tag identifies both the data type
> >and the number of characters for the data.  For
> >example, your callsign would appear as: <CALL:4>N6CW
> >
> >Spaces or tabs between fields are ignored (actually
> >all  intervening characters are ignored) and the data
> >for a single QSO may appear across one or many lines.
> >
> >The ADIF spec allows for the creation of new tags more
> >or less at will.  Programs that read (import) ADIF
> >format files understand this and will simply ignore
> >any data types they do not understand.
> >
> >The gist of all this is that the specific ordering of
> >data is not important, and for this reason, no two
> >logging programs write ADIF files that look exactly
> >alike. In other words, don't worry about the ADIF
> >files looking different - it is normal and expected.
> >
> >For all the gory details about ADIF, see
> >http://www.hosenose.com/adif/
> >
> >Hope this helps.
> >

> >Tim - N9LF
> >

> >--- n6cw@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > A question about .adif files exported from Writelog
> > > and N1MM. I am in the process of importing a
> > > N1MM.adi file into my general logging program
> > > (PlusV4). I noticed that the .adif files from N1MM
> > > are completely different in format than that from
> > > Writelog. Before I dump the N1MM.adi file into the
> > > existing log I want to make sure I am going to have
> > > a clean install. Do I have reason for concern here,
> > > or will PlusV4 pick out what it needs? I don't think
> > > this is a PlusV4 question, but I am curious at the
> > > difference in format between N1mm.adi and
> > > Writelog.adi.
> > >
> > > Terry Baxter/N6CW

> Jim Rhodes K0XU
> jim@rhodesend.net
>
> Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.

------
N9LJX
radio.n9ljx@gmail.com
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scott/