Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW observations

To: Art Boyars <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW observations
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:50:12 -0500
On Jan 17, 2006, at 9:48 PM, Art Boyars wrote:

>  It's nice to get peoples' names, but some names sure are hard to
> copy if the sig is a little weak.

That's part of the challenge!

>   I found myself wondering why my parents had not named me "BOB".
> And then there were the guys who outsmarted themselves by using
> cute names.  I had thought of doing that.  I was going to name
> myself "EEN", and get everybody confused, or maybe bust the QSO
> when they typed 599.  But I figured that would just get me on
> everybody's do-not-call list.  Don't want that!

For about five years now, I have been using "Bill" in the CW portion
and "George" in the Phone. "Bill" is short and distinctive on CW.
Using "George" is alliterative with my state of Georgia. "George
Georgia" or "George in Georgia" needs very few repeats, although
several guys will say, "I didn't get your name", or "I didn't get
your state". And there's a handful who can't spell "George". Despite
all that, it's much faster than using Bill on phone.

The only guys who get confused are the handful that know me, either
local guys, or those in the SECC, or some on the reflector, or maybe
guys that worked me in the CW portion.

Bottom line, you can just any name you want. In CW, there are an
awful lot of "Ed"s and "Al"s. It's up to people to copy what you
send, or face a busted QSO.

Picking something hard to copy, like someone who used
"Rumplestiltskin" a few years ago, will slow your rate. Choose wisely.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901