Re: [CQ-Contest] Filed Day operations on digital???

To: CQ-Contest Contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Filed Day operations on digital???
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:07:33 -0500
On Feb 13, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Tyler Stewart wrote:

> I spearheaded the W3AO digital operation last year and it's
> actually become
> a significant part of our score.
>
> PSK is where it's at and the operators seem to have gotten much
> better about
> "contest mode" operating and not throwing a paragraph of brag tape
> at you!

        Hehe, I know that one! Some folks want to tell you what the color of
their laptop is..... 8^)

> RTTY is faster overall, but there really wasn't that much activity
> compared
> to PSK.

        I'm hoping that eventually the psk'ers will shift to PSK63. That
should make it about as fast as a CW QSO. IN addition, the people who
aren't in the contest can just look at the screen, and see who they
want to chat with. The wider PSK 63 signal stands out like a sore thumb.

> The hard part about digital if you are in a big operation is
> keeping it from
> interfering with the other modes on the same band.  You cant
> justify taking
> CW or SSB off the air to make digital contacts from a points
> perspective.

        It is hard to envision the PSK users interfering with CW users. RTTY
maybe, as I know it can present a problem when someone is
transmitting in the PSK segment. THe problem is more related to
RTTY's wide BW, and a few folks have a bit of a problem with a Ratty
RTTY signal. ;^) But otherwise, it seems like all three can coexist
just fine.

        - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -