[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX, Canadian multipliers

To: <CQ-CONTEST@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX, Canadian multipliers
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:36:14 -0600
Hi all,

Greetings to all global competitors in ARRL DX. Nice to work all of you. And
nice to have sunspots and a forgiving auroral cap to be ABLE to work all of you!

One thing that became apparent in many QSOs this weekend, though, is that some
of you may be under the impression that Canadian prefixes don't indicate
geography. This is not true. Unlike the U.S., we must still identify if we are
outside of our home call area. So if you know VE4 is Manitoba, and work a VE4
with no portable suffix, he's in Manitoba.

A complete listing of Canadian prefixes and their respective provinces is at
http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/precan.htm

A complete listing of ARRL multipliers used in ARRL DX is at
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2006/intldx.html

Some may argue that makes Canadian QSOs easier to deduce in heavy QRM, but
that's an argument to take up with ARRL. (The contest rules only stipulate a
portable designation when your location is a different DXCC entity than your
home call area (KH6XZY/W6, for example). FCC regs stopped requiring an N1 in W6
to sign /W6 long ago.)

73, kelly
ve4xt

Canada - where prefixes still mean something.