Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M question: ARRL DX Phone

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M question: ARRL DX Phone
From: "Lawrence Stoskopf" <stoskopf@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 03:18:48 GMT
 From Kansas:  I've always stuck to the high bands for the various contests.
This time I put up a dipole broadside to Eu.  Operated about 9 hours total,
until about 1A local both nights.  Rig Orion I and Acom 2000. No noise and
minimal RX QRM in that split operation.  Ended up with 47 countries and 80
contacts.  Strictly S&P.  With exception of the HB9 that I chased both
nights and totally couldn't hear me, I worked EVERYTHING I heard, most on
the first call.  RK9, 9H3, RK2, 6V6U, JE1, UA9, S56, as well as the Carib
and SA.

Always, say on 20M, I hear weak stations calling the CQing stations.  I
heard no second layer stations.  Question:  is this a result of being in the
zero black hole?  I can't believe that another 3 dB would bring that second
layer out of the noise that wasn't here this time.  Comments?

The other comment is that some times I would listen to a station for 10 min
working a string, giving his call, but not the transmit frequency.  Really
aggravating as I didn't have WEB access and am assuming that all those
callers were picking that freq off the WEB.  Next time I will have it and
work /A.  Well hashed subject, but still poor operating practice.

Thanks,

N0UU