Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet luck or pot luck?

To: "CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet luck or pot luck?
From: "Dallas and Lucy" <ludal@dmv.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:26:49 -0500
 Mal,

 Let me splain it to ya.  Whereas your conclusion is a possible scenario, it
 is not necessarily the only, or even the most common one.  Some contesting
 s/w have a feature called "spot all S&P QSOs".  If that feature is
selected,
 and your s/w is in an S&P mode, all of your Q's get spotted.  I noticed the
 same phenomena on several bands, and usually sent the station a packet note
 advising them of what they were doing, or calling them on their transmit
 frequency.  That always stopped the activity.

 In my own case, I got a packet note from a club member on our cluster that
 was doing the same thing on 15M.  This was a case where the operator had no
 pre-recorded messages, and the previous operator had selected "spot all S&P
 QSOs".  With no pre-recorded messages, the current operator did not invoke
 the "RUN" feature to send .wav files, and therefore, the s/w thought he was
 in S&P and was spotting all of his Q's.

 To accuse each station that makes this mistake of cheating is grossly
 unjust, and I think your view on this is quite myopic.

 73  Dallas W3PP