[CQ-Contest] KT-34XA problems

To: py2ny <py2ny@arrl.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] KT-34XA problems
From: Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:55:55 -0500
Vitor,

I recently went through a similar experience converting a KT-34XA to a
KT-36XA. To solve the problem, I first took the antenna down and removed
each element from the boom. I erected a temporary 15 foot tower so I
could easily analyze each element. I measured the resonant frequency of
each element using an impedance bridge at the center of the element (you
could also use an antenna analyzer, etc.), and compared with previous
measurements made by K6MYC, W4EF and K1KP on their XA's (see
http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/CITARC/kt34xaelementdata.htm
and
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2006-02/msg00199.html
).  Once you make the measurements, it should be easy to see which
element(s) has the problem.

In my case, I found that the Rear DE was resonant way too high in the
band on 10 meters. I ended up lengthening the 10 meter linear loading
strap until the resonant frequency fell into the right place, which
solved my XA problem.

Good luck !

73,
Steve, N2IC