Re: [CQ-Contest] Travel to Brazil (WRTC)

To: k4zw@adelphia.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Travel to Brazil (WRTC)
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:47:48 -0700
This was a major news item in USA Today yesterday. Vairg still has
service to Miami but have cancelled all other US service. They are
also now canceling flights at the last minute, so if you have a
reservation on them, it may or may not fly. They have a deadline on
Friday for an employee sponsored buyout payment to be made. If it
doesn't happen, all bets are off. According to the paper, they have
grounded all but 19 of their airplanes.

They are over 3 billion dollars in debt. This was once a great
airline. Let's hope they find a way and another legend doesn't fall
by the wayside.

On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:06 AM, <k4zw@adelphia.net> <k4zw@adelphia.net>
wrote:

> Although I don't see anything on Varig's web site (Brazilian
> Airline), there are stories floating around that they have
> suspended part or all of their international operations as of
> Wednesday (21-June).  The reason is financial.  If your travels to
> WRTC next month include Varig, better give them a call.
>
> 73
> Ken K4ZW

-Jack Brindle, W6FB