[CQ-Contest] Field Day GOTA operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Field Day GOTA operation
From: "Draper, Bruce L" <draperbl@sandia.gov>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:02:34 -0600
I've seen a couple of odd statements about the "Get On The Air" stations in
some of the Field Day reports on the 3830 reflector. Observing some of the
local clubs, I know there's a lot of misunderstanding about what that station
is supposed to be used for. Here's what the ARRL package says about it:

Q. What is the GOTA station?

A. It is an opportunity for Novice, Technician, Technician Plus
licensees, other generally inactive licensees, and non-licensed
persons to experience first-hand the fun of amateur radio by
allowing them to GET ON THE AIR.

A couple of guidelines to keep in mind when allowing persons to operate the
GOTA station:

                1) Any licensee who has never made HF contacts would be
considered inactive.

2) Someone who has made no QSOs in the last two years would be considered
inactive.

3) A person who operated the GOTA station as a generally inactive licensee last
year would not be eligible to operate the GOTA station in the following Field
Day.

-------------------end of ARRL quotes

Yeah, I know it's not a big deal and FD isn't supposed to be a contest, but we
do keep score...

    -Bruce AA5B