[CQ-Contest] Accuracy needs to count

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Accuracy needs to count
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:16:34 -0500
W1TY said:

> a station was using my call on
> 75 meters during Field Day - W1TY

[then it turned out to be W1QI]

> I hope the practice that Field Day offers finally pays off for that
> operator.

At the moment I believe it is more likely that poor Field Day operators will
never find out their operating is poor.

Since, for the most part operating accuracy can be measured nowadays, I
would like to see a "Top-Ten Accuracy Box" or some such thing.  I would like
to see accuracy recognized, valued and rewarded as part of Field Day.

NOTE that I am not saying that all the stations with 25% error rates should
be embarrassed in print.  I'm only saying the best should get kudos.  And
maybe a real nice trophy for the club display case (or whatever).

If done in just the right way, it could become "cool" to get the call right.
That would seem like a successful emergency communications exercise to me.

Mark, N5OT