Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]

To: "'CQ-Contest MailList'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:37:37 -0000
There are peers, and then there are peers.  When I enter vhf contests as a
m/s-limited I know I am up against full power stations with big amps and
good preamps and more bands than I have... but I enter that class anyway
because it lets me use packet and have fun the way I want to.  And believe
it or not, even though I may be outgunned by 10db or more, I can still get
certificates with 3 bands and 100w max.

my point is, we all get to read the rules before the contest.  We all get to
look over the results for the last 20 years of most contests.  So we all
make a choice to enter a particular class and configure our station to make
the best of what we have.  Think of it like a sailing race, there is a class
for boats say 20-30' long and with 100-200sq-ft of sail, now do I want to
push the max of the hardware and go with 29.999' and 199.999' of sail, or do
I think I can sneak in there with a shorter easier to handle boat and have a
bit of fun with it.

The only advantage the sailors have is that they get to see the other guy's
boat during the competition.  So I say, you don't understand why someone in
the same area beat you so badly??? Go ask him.  Get him to show you his
station, get him to show you how his so2r stuff works, maybe even ask him if
you can guest operate to see how it works in some contest he isn't
operating.  You may just learn something, and make a friend in the process.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net