Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs. SO2R

To: <dezrat@copper.net>, "Bob Henderson" <bob@5b4agn.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs. SO2R
From: "VE5ZX" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:44:22 -0600
> Absolutely correct. What you don't see however, is that when two
> highly skilled operators compete in an otherwise equal situation, the
> two radio setup will win every time, and by a large margin. The
> fundamental advantage is the hardware, not operator skill. Lack of two
> radio skill can be overcome with practice. Lack of a second radio can
> not be overcome by any amount of skill or practice.

Right on! Your experience on RTTY is similar to mine on CW/SSB. I can easily
add a few mults over the course of a contest without decreasing my SO1R
performance. Even without skill SO2R has technical advantage over SO1R. The
difference between the two is not only an additional rig but 20-30 db
isolation between bands. Like more power and bigger antennas SO2R adds gain
to your scoring SO1R capabilities immediately. With practice come more
skills and better scores.

Syl

Sylvan Katz - VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK