Re: [CQ-Contest] Thanks, .......Boston and Maine visit.

To: Ffive VHN <f5vhn@yahoo.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Thanks, .......Boston and Maine visit.
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:24:07 -0400 (EDT)
--- Ffive VHN <f5vhn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Of course, Cape Cod was the test site of Mr Marconi
> and the first tans-Atlantic transmissions.
>
> Best 73
> Robert "W1/"F5VHN

Not exactly, sir.  In fact, Marconi's first
trans-Atlantic transmissions took place in 1901
between Poldu, Cornwall, England and was received in
what is now called Signal Hill in St. John's,
Newfoundland.

I believe the first trans-Atlantic transmission to or
fron the U.S. was received in (or sent from, I'm not
sure) Cape Cod.

Nothing is mentioned of whether a QSL card was issued,
and I believe Mr. Marconi was operating SO1SG (Single
Op, 1 Spark Gap) at the time!

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS