Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:10:10 -0500
> In a contest like CQWW CW, 30 seconds is an eternity
> and an unreasonable amount of time to listen to a freq.

I don't recall seeing the number "30 seconds" cited.  I take "some tens of
seconds" to mean 20.  That's only one QSO at a rate of 180.  I don't think
it's unreasonable.  There are many more foolish ways to lose a QSO than
listening before you transmit.

> Do that, and you'll hear someone else grab it first.

This only seems like a good reason, but:

1. if the frequency was really available, you'd probably take it the moment
you heard someone else's "?" before letting him grab it (I know I would),
or:

2. the guy trying to work the JT would respond to the other guy's "?" and
you'd learn the frequency was occupied in less than 20 seconds.

Vy 73

Mark, N5OT