[CQ-Contest] Two real examples [was: ARRL says no to openinglogs...]

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Two real examples [was: ARRL says no to openinglogs...]
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:24:15 -0700 (PDT)
--- Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote:
> Am I missing some elaborate cheating scenario here?

Hi Pete,
What I'm about to relate is something that actually
happened.  It is based on the testing that we've been
doing with the http://www.RFSport.com initiative that
includes both (1) Realtime Scoreboarding -and- (2)
Realtime Log-displays.

Because all participants can see the grid-maps AND
logs of all other participants it is quite possible to

... make a "half-of-a-QSO" on RF (deep fading can do
that), check the other station's on-line log to see if
they logged you (they heard your "R", but you didn't
hear theirs), then go ahead and enter them into your
own log, if so.

... copy a partial callsign, echange "Rogers", then go
searching other people's logs for the remainder of the
callsign ([?]3GP in FM18 must have been worked by
others...oh yeah, that's a "K", because that's what is
in other people's log).

For this very reason, during a contest, RFSport.com
displays all logs, with the callsign "masked".  After
the competition is over, participants upload their
UN-masked logs for display.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV