Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio as Carry-On Luggage?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio as Carry-On Luggage?
From: "Kelly Jones" <kjones@virtualcohesion.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:22:11 -0600
I had a similar experience less than two weeks ago on August 6th while
returning from VP5.  Granted, this was a few days before the latest "scare".

For whatever reason, my Pelican case which contained my rig, power supply
and all accessories was checked on Provo under my wife's name.  The airport
security called her name and she had to explain to security in some back
room what the equipment was.  Now keep in mind she doesn't give a hoot about
the hobby, but fortunately we've been married long enough that she pretty
much knew what everything was.

I also had an MLA2500 with me as a carry on for this trip (yes, lots of
equip between checked and carry on).  While this usually gets the attention
of the X-Ray screeners I got "caught" re-checking in Miami.  As expected,
they pulled me aside and the TSA agent wanted to know what was in the bag.
I explained to him what it was.  Usually this is sufficient and with a quick
swab check I'm on my way.  So he proceeds to swab the thing - ok, that's
normal.  He then says "the screener saw what looked like an urn inside."
I'm thinking he must have seen the tubes or transformer or something round.
So he then swabs the amp again in different places a little more vigorously
and now swabs some areas of the bag - still negative.  Finally he takes
everything out of the carry on, lays it on the table and starts swabbing
everything.  This guy was bound & determined to find something - again,
nothing.  So after he has me standing around for 20 minutes, he says "is
this a ham radio amp or something?"  Ummm, isn't that what I told you 20
minutes ago when you started this charade?  He finally hands me the amp and
lets me get on my way - by this time my plane had already boarded.

This was my worse experience with ham gear in the past couple of years.
Usually they just look at it, perhaps swab once, and I'm on my way.  Maybe
it was just my lucky day.  I haven't had the "pleasure" of traveling by air
since this latest incident, but I too am wondering about things as I'll be
heading to PJ2/4 in October for CQWW.  Time will only tell...

73
Kelly - N0VD