Re: [CQ-Contest] Logging software and WRTC

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Logging software and WRTC
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 07:34:42 -0700
On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 11:00:16AM -0700, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
>      http://www.wrtc2006.com/WRTC_radioSW.htm lists the logging software used
> by each station in WRTC 2006.  Only six different logging programs were
> used by the 46 teams.  The following breaks down the usage overall
> and by the continental area of the team captain:
>
>          Overall  AF  AS  EU  NA  OC  SA
>          -------  --  --  --  --  --  --
> WriteLog:  14          1   6   4   1   2
> WinTest:   12             12
> N1MM:       9      1       5   1       2
> CT-Win:     8                  8
> TR Log:     2              2
> Zlog4Win:   1          1
>
> Observations:
>
> * WinTest was used exclusively by teams from Europe, and it was the most
>   popular logging program amongst the European teams.  Any ideas why it's
>   not more popular outside Europe?
>
> * TR Log is the only DOS-based logger still being used by top competitors,
>   with CT, NA, and SD all absent from the competition this time around.

SD (another logging program that seems to be predominantly used by
Europeans) I have been informed is both (a) Windows based nowadays, but (b)
only suited to single-operator use, and therefore not really appropriate
for the WRTC team.

> * Over 80% of the WRTC teams still use commercial logging software rather
>   than freeware.  On the other hand, freeware is now the choice of 20% of
>   the teams at WRTC.

As several have reminded me, CT-Win is also freeware, so the percentage of
teams using freeware loggers in 2006 was really more like 37%.  This is
a much higher percentage than four years ago.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com