Re: [CQ-Contest] f/B Antenna ratios - reception

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] f/B Antenna ratios - reception
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:03:20 -0500 (CDT)
Ahhh, indeed.

Memories:  Sometime circa 1979-1980 time frame, a couple of us at the Penn
State ARC K3CR realized that with not much effort, we stood a good chance of
winning Multi-Op WPA for the ARRL 160 contest... in part because there had been
no MO entries in WPA in that contest for years.  So, we started recruiting a
few people to stay up and operate.

One person we talked to was a graduate student at the time, Tom W3/LA4LN.  Tom
politely declined our invitation since he was planning to operate the contest
himself.   Our mistake, of course, in trying to convince him to join us was in
revealing WHY we were so interested in the contest that year, though he did say
he might stop by and help operate if he could.

You probably know where this is going... yes, Tom waxed us but good.  And
technically, he was also MO that year.  He told us afterwards that he had his
wife, W3/LA2SR, make a single contact!

Moral:  Don't ever expect to win by coasting.  Even when it's a sure thing,
it's not!

73, ron w3wn

2 Oct 2006 12:28:23 -0700 (PDT)