Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction
From: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 20:58:47 -0400
Ev Tupis wrote:

>--- Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>Well, that is oversimplifying matters by a large
>>extent.  VHF contests are not the exclusive
>>operating ground for technician class operators.
>>

>Of course, you are right.  The point that I was
>attempting to make was that 1/2 of the amateur
>population can't participate in an HF contest.  They
>are not contributing to any increase there.  Likewise,
>they are also not contributing to the VHF contesting
>environment either.
>
>I think that is significant.

    One of the things that got me started in HF and the idea of
radiosport was that I was invited as a technician out to our club Field
day, and I operated while a (very patient) control OP logged at the
computer. When I became a Ham in 1999 I hadn't planned on going any
higher than Tech. After patient tutoring and a couple events I was
hooked. Not much time passed before I had my General, then my Extra.

   In addition, I believe that the distinction between HF and V/UHF
contesting is artificial once we get beyond the obvious propagation and
OP density during contests. We have to get people interested in
contesting period. Not VHF or HF, just contesting.

    My point?

       If we are interested in contesting or Ham radio in general, we
need to take the newbie, hand them the mic, get 'em interested,  and
don't be condescending. (critical - if a person is a "superior" Ham,
that will turn the new folks off quicker than a squirrel in a
substation) Then we'll be getting lots of new contesters.

    - 73 de mike KB3EIA -